Road Safety Statistics
The latest Australian road fatality data (July 2019) shows that:
- During calendar 2018 there were 1,137 road deaths (provisional).
- For 2019, there have been 729 deaths (provisional). This is 75 deaths (11.5%) higher than the same period last year.
Road Safety Dashboards
BITRE has released a new dashboard that presents annual counts of roadside drug tests in Australia, proportion of positive results, and where available, the number of annual road deaths involving an illegal drug.
- Australia Roadside drug testing in 2018
- Vision Zero—years with zero road crash fatalities
- Australian Road Deaths during the Christmas Period
- Australian Road Deaths during the Easter Period
Regular Road Safety Publications
This bulletin contains monthly summaries and current counts of Australian fatal road crashes.
This bulletin contains annual summaries and current counts of Australian fatal road crashes.
Quarterly statistical summaries of fatal heavy vehicle crashes
This bulletin contains annual summaries and current counts of Australian fatal road crashes involving heavy vehicles.
This report presents summaries of fatalities and fatality rates for Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) nations and Australian states and territories.
This Excel sheet provides summary traffic hospitalised injury series. These series are produced by the National Injury Surveillance Unit at Flinders University under an agreement with the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
This Excel sheet provides the first summary tables of severe injury cases (ISS>12) added to the Australian Trauma Registry between 1 July to 31 December 2017. These tables are produced under the joint funding agreement between the Department of Health and the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities.
Occasional Road Safety Publications
- Location and other risk factors in crashes
- Modelling Road Safety in Australian States and Territories
- Motorcycling Safety
- Light commercial vehicle safety
- Developing national road safety indicators for injury
- Heavy truck safety: crash analysis and trends
- Australian cycling safety,
- Pedestrians and road safety,
- The impact of airbags and electronic stability control on Australian light vehicle fatalities,
- Impact of road trauma and measures to improve outcomes,
- Road safety of older Australians,
- Young adult road safety,
- Child pedestrian safety.
Statistical alerts for recent OECD road safety reports are available here.
External links to OECD and Australian state and territory road safety data are available here.
Office of Road Safety and National Road Safety Strategy
The National Road Safety Strategy sets out nationally agreed objectives, targets and priorities for road safety improvement in Australia. More information including NRSS statistical indicators are available at roadsafety.gov.au.
The Office of Road Safety was established on 1 July 2019 to provide greater leadership and coordination of road safety efforts at a national level.