Australian Road Deaths Database
The Australian Road Deaths Database provides basic details of road transport crash fatalities in Australia as reported by the police each month to the State and Territory road safety authorities. It is published by the Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics.
Data are preliminary and subject to revision. Jurisdictions regularly revise their crash datasets, for example, once a Coroner finds a death is due to suicide, homicide or natural causes, or where a crash is found to have occurred in an off-road location.
Details provided in the database fall into two groups:
- the circumstances of the crash, for example, location, crash type, day of week, time.
- some details regarding the persons killed, for example, age, gender and road user group.
Citations for information derived from this database should include the publisher, the database name, the webpage, and the date of access.
When is the data updated?
- The fatality data is updated on or around the 14th of each month.
- The heavy vehicle flags (for articulated truck, heavy rigid truck and bus involvement) are only updated each quarter, and are current to within two months. Information for heavy rigid truck involvement in crashes earlier than 2004 is incomplete.
Database (Data current to May 2020)
The following changes have been made to the online database:
- These location-related fields have been added: ABS Remoteness Area, Local government area, road type based on PSMA Transport Hierarchy, table 15, and ABS SA4 name based on the Australian Statistical Geography Standard) for crashes since 1 January 2015. Back series for these new fields are not available for all jurisdictions.
- These additional fields have been added: Age Group (standard groups used in the Monthly bulletin), Day of week flag (weekday/weekend) and Time of day flag (day/night).
- Date of crash has been removed. Year, Month and Day of week are retained.
- Tables have been added to provide counts of fatal crashes and fatalities by day.
- The CSV file is now available at Data.gov.au/ARDD.
- Fatal Crashes
- Data Dictionary (September 2019) PDF: 277 KB