Road trauma involving heavy vehicles - 2021 [PDF: 1.68 MB]
Road Trauma Involving Heavy Vehicles—Annual Summaries
This report presents detailed information on fatal crashes involving heavy vehicles and forms an important part of the evidence base. See also the Quarterly bulletins.
Latest Year: 2021
- Road Trauma Involving Heavy Vehicles 2021 - Dashboard
2021 : At a glance
Annual counts of fatalities in crashes involving heavy trucks, 2012–2021
- In 2021, a total of 163 people were killed in crashes involving heavy trucks. This represents 15.4 per cent of total road deaths.
- Of the people killed in these fatal crashes, approximately 50 per cent are occupants in a light vehicle, 25 per cent are occupants in the heavy truck and 25 per cent are other road users (pedestrian, motorcyclist or pedal cyclist).
- The latest hospitalisation data (2019) shows that approximately 510 heavy truck occupants are hospitalised from road crashes each year.
Annual counts of fatalities in crashes involving a bus, 2012–2021
- There was a total of 15 people killed in crashes involving a bus. The trend over the last three years shows a reduction of 13.4 per cent per year.
- Of the people killed in these bus-involved fatal crashes, approximately 11 per cent are occupants of the bus, 33 per cent are occupants of a light vehicle and 57 per cent are other road users.
- Approximately 254 bus occupants are hospitalised from crashes each year.
Data presented in this publication was correct as at January 2023. Due to normal ongoing revisions in road deaths data, comparisons between this publication and later reports will result in minor discrepancies.